Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennett Prescott

Just This Guy, You Know?
Staff member
Jan 10, 2011
Wallingford, CT
www.bennettprescott.com
I just sent this message to the LAB moderators. I hope it makes the purpose of this forum clear.

Bennett Prescott said:
I didn't want to message any LAB moderators until I had a better sense of whether there was actually any interest in a ''new'' pro sound forum. Apparently there is a lot, and since it is not going to stay a secret for long I didn't want you to find out from somewhere else and feel that I had gone behind your back (which may be unavoidable).

You know how good the LAB has been to me, and I will participate in some capacity until it is no longer relevant. However, losing the years of content that I have put into it without even the slightest recognition from our ''corporate overlords'' that it is significant is a real slap in the face. Learning new forum software is inconvenient, but feeling that my contributions are worthless to people who can erase them at any time is what really put me over the edge.

Obviously many others feel the same way. I have asked everyone involved to keep this off the LAB, old and new. Hopefully it will stay that way. I don't want anyone to feel that we are being malevolent here, but there is very positive support for having control of our content into the future be in private hands.

You are welcome any time, in any capacity you would like. We'll see where it goes, maybe EH Publishing will change their minds and we can all come home again.

http://www.soundforums.net

I was writing this message personally, but I do not want this to be seen as ''my site''. This is a result of the changes in the LAB community. This is ''your site''. I don't want to see a mass exodus or perhaps loss of interest from people who I have come to know over the years and consider to be my friends. Therefore, this site exists as an alternative to continue the spirit of the community.

Thanks go out to the LAB moderators who have been doing more than their fair share to try and keep this together. They have set an excellent precedent that we seek to continue here.

This is not a ''new LAB''. It is a separate site. Hopefully we can have a different kind of discourse here, but I have no interest in spreading dissension.

Re: To Users Coming From the LAB

One of our users has apparently been instituting a denial of service attack on http://srforums.prosoundweb.com. To what end I cannot imagine. That user has been banned from these forums as well. That is not how we do things. If they have a very good explanation for their actions they may be unbanned, but I will not be seen as head of some angry group of rebels trying to ruin the LAB. If this forum cannot coexist with that forum, in whatever capacity, I have no interest in helping to run it.

A lot of us have a lot at stake here. Quit being an asshole.

Bennett Prescott wrote on Tue said:
Don't give me all the credit. It was David Karol's idea and he's doing a lot of work behind the scenes. Jeff Knorr is also helping us out... I just happen to be the most visible at the moment!

Well, as the saying goes, someone's gotta be the point man.

Thanks for being that guy Bennett.

One of our users has apparently been instituting a denial of service attack on http://srforums.prosoundweb.com. To what end I cannot imagine. That user has been banned from these forums as well. That is not how we do things. If they have a very good explanation for their actions they may be unbanned, but I will not be seen as head of some angry group of rebels trying to ruin the LAB. If this forum cannot coexist with that forum, in whatever capacity, I have no interest in helping to run it.

A lot of us have a lot at stake here. Quit being an asshole.

An update on this situation. I un-banned this user since I lacked real evidence. Since then the issue of this user's access has become contentious for many. Additionally, legal threats have been made and neither David nor myself can afford to get involved even peripherally in anything of that nature.

In the interest of keeping the community together during this already rocky time, which was the whole point of this forum, I have therefore banned said user again. I apologize for any impression of fickleness, but my loyalty is to this resource and I was trying to judge what the best course of action was to preserve it.

You may now return to your kick drum EQ discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.