the LEAP experience

Johnny Holguin

Freshman
Sep 23, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I wanted to get some feedback about this software. It seems somewhat outdated. There are no updates for current Windows or Mac OS. When I inquired to Linearx they are vague and only recommend their analyzers to use with LEAP. However, their analyzer LX500 has not been released and it seems its been in production for over 4 years.

Just wanted some feedback to see if anyone is using LEAP. And if a third party analyzer is being used to get curve data for importing into LEAP.

We use LEAP some times, I've never had trouble importing curves from other software. I forget the specifics on formatting, but its just ASCII text, and it's easy enough to just convert with something like Excel.

You are correct, the software GUI experience is quite dated, but we have no issues with it running on Windows 7.

Not to totally go the other direction, but I would also take a look at Mentor SystemVision. They have a free cloud version which has some pretty darn powerful modeling and analysis tools available. The downside being you have to setup the models yourself.

https://www.systemvision.com/

Last edited:
Not to totally go the other direction, but I would also take a look at Mentor SystemVision.https://www.systemvision.com/

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting the link to SystemVision. It looks really interesting, the price is right, and, should I gird my loins to do any system engineering again, I'll give it a try.

The funny thing is that these days I wouldn't mind paying for software, but I don't want to pay for expensive, subscription-based stuff that I underutilize and get locked into. So I like free, like R.

Best,

--Frank

Frank,
I really love VHDL-AMS as a modeling language, my biggest issue has been, the tools seriously suck. I was really stoked to see them try and get this platform off the ground. It still has a lot of limitations, but they have really put a lot of work into it, and the support response for 'free' users has been great. I think I posted it here when they first released it, but since then they have fixed a majority of the stability issues, and added the ability to keep 'private' designs.

Although it also runs SPICE models, if you're like me and always hated SPICE and found it ugly as sin, I would look at modeling with VHDL-AMS. Like you say though, with no good open source tooling, its easy to get locked into a platform. I keep hoping some university will fund an implementation and tooling project. Modelica seems to be the only project with any wings, and try as I might, I just can't seem to 'dig' into its syntax.

Mark