Teleprompter

Re: Teleprompter

Is there a standard as far as teleprompters go ? What should I watch out for ? Any insight would be greatly appreciated .

Hello,

It's all about the software used. The only real screen consideration is ...as to how far the screen will be from the talent. You wouldn't use a small screen...(example: a 22'') 35 feet from the talent).

Cheers,

Hammer

Software can be pretty much anything.

Pretty common is Power Point. Works great and almost everyone who is computer savvy knows how it works. Any of the other presentation software will work as well, Pro Presenter, MediaShout, etc.

I have even seen a DVD used. Someone created scrolling text in a video editing software and dumped it onto a DVD. Then they had their kid hitting play and pause all night long to keep the words scrolling at the right speed.

We have a 40'' plasma screen about 35'-40' front the front of the stage mounted on the back wall in one of our rooms. We use size 44 Verdana and that seems to work well. We can fit about 30 words on a screen. Makes life easier so we don't have hundreds of screens to page through.

The last time I worked with Artist You've Heard Of Who Uses a Teleprompter, their teleprompter operator was using a specific piece of software to drive the display, and she has a little external USB jog wheel that let her adjust the rate of playback. Sorry I didn't look closer to catch the name of the product.

i guess it's not cool to name names, but i did a gig with a ''singer you've heard of'' that used to sing with some rock guys who hung out in a 'left coast inn', but then had a hit or two for 'the Rat' and then got kinda chunky and decided to do spanish music and i was kinda disappointed when i met her 'cause i always thought she was so hot when i was a kid...

anyway, did a show during her mariachi phase and she brought along her 'teleprompter'. it was a tiny CCD camera rigged with a desk lamp and some coat hangers and hooked up to a little b&w TV that was placed downstage. her manager/handler sat backstage for the whole show and fed typewritten lyrics pages under the camera. it was kludgey and silly. but totally effective...

and there you have it... road story 11.3.2beta [build 22]

as you were...

edit:typos

If the talent is being filmed or closely watched by the audience, I can tell you that any more than 4-5 words per line will cause their eyes to noticeably zig-zag from reading.

White text on a black background is standard and less eye-fatiguing than other colors. We used red for titles and M-dashes for breaks in subjects or to note a change of talent.

The software we used was called EZ News, and the teleprompting feature was included with the bundle. The left mouse button was pressed and held for forward text direction and the right mouse button used to reverse it; the scroll wheel increased or decreased the speed.

Hope that helps a bit.