Roland FP-10 digital piano as MIDI controller settings

Giovanni Bastoni

Oct 16, 2023
Italy
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a roland FP-10 digital piano. I really like the expression of it when using it as a digital piano, but I'm new to using it as a midi keyboard.

I've tried it out with several excellent piano VSTi, but I feel like the touch sensitivity is automatically set to very hard. I've tried adjusting this by selecting the lightest touch sensitivity on the FP-10, or by adjusting the velocity in Cubase, and this helps a little.

But it's not nearly the same as playing the FP-10 as a normal digital piano. It feels like the velocity range is way smaller when using it as a midi controller, and there's so much less expression. This holds true in the Kontakt player standalone, and in several VSTIs used in Cubase.

Am I making a midi rookie mistake here? Could it have anything to do with CC controls? Ideally what I'm looking for is just having it set up to feel like a realistic piano (not so much synths).

Thanks for any suggestions!

The Roland’s and Yamahas all do this. They tailor the velocity curve to their sound generation system. Don’t forge5 in cubase the midi modifier section, velocity compression can help a great deal, but it’s still very easy to generate levels over 100 but have difficulty under 40 or so. Playing quiet is quite random sometimes.