Picture Posting Problems

Bennett Prescott

Just This Guy, You Know?
Staff member
Jan 10, 2011
Wallingford, CT
www.bennettprescott.com
Some users have complained about the interface for posting pictures, and the ugliness of the result. This problem is due to a vB compatibility issue with some browsers.

I happen to use Apple's Safari to do a lot of my work on the forum, and it is one of the "broken" browsers. For example, here is what I see if I edit a front page news post that has a lot of links and a picture:

Screen shot 2011-03-07 at 4.22.12 PM.png

If I look at the same edit box in Firefox, you can see the WYSIWYG editor actually works. It's not perfect, but it makes it much easier to see my attachment, and it is the only way I am aware of to insert a photo with text wrapping, resizing, alt text, or without a thumbnail at the bottom of your post. I can upload a very large photo and resize it to a forum friendly size, and have it attached inline so users can click it to go to the full size image. This is by far the slicker way to attach images.

Screen shot 2011-03-07 at 4.22.39 PM.png

Right now in Safari and others, if you upload a photo and then attach it using the attachment manager, it will only show up as a thumbnail inline in your post, and then again at the bottom of your post in the "attached images" section. This is ugly. One hack is to attach as usual, then preview your post, right (control) click on the thumbnail and choose Copy Link to get the URL of the full size image, then enclose that link in image tags using the graphic button.

Screen shot 2011-03-07 at 4.30.47 PM.png

This will give you your attached image full size, with the thumbnail at the bottom of the post. As long as your image isn't very large this works OK with a minimum of ugliness.

If you want to do power user image attachment, like I do for the front page news posts, you must use a compatible browser. I believe Chrome is broken as well. Obviously this is a serious issue and a resolution is forthcoming, but I have no time table as we are at the mercy of vBulletin's developers.

Re: Picture Posting Problems

The new editor coming out in 4.1.4 (was to be 4.1.3) is purported to fix this issue, as well as add some additional functionality. Personally, I'm waiting until this editor is released before upgrading my 2 sites as it looks pretty amazing.

Don't know if all the features of this editor will be possible in vB, but here's a demo to whet your appetite: http://ckeditor.com/demo

(I liked the old name better: FCKeditor) :)

Hard to say, Bennett. One would have to compare the two forums with the same server specs, bandwidth and usage.
My impression is that they are both the same speed and that the limiting factor is likely mySQL, but I'm no expert on that sort of thing. I have heard that MODs that add queries are the biggest causes of slowdowns on forums. There are many things that can be done to speed up 4.x forums, but from what I've read, they are typically not necessary until you're in the 1 mega-post+ bracket. I find your forum quick enough.

BTW - I still prefer 3.x as a forum, it's simpler, cleaner, easier to mod and more stable/mature. The blog/CMS features of 4.x are hard to pass up though. And of course 3.x is EOL now.

The blog/CMS features of 4.x are hard to pass up though. And of course 3.x is EOL now.
Yes indeed. 4x does look a little slicker, but I think they have some baggage to clean up.

The load speed difference between this forum and FUD was remarkable, but it's not really slow... just not as fast as it could be. The scalability into millions of posts is obviously worth another half second of page load time.