Mics for bass cabs

Re: Mics for bass cabs

Rob, I would try the A/T 2020 first, followed by the SM57, and finally the SM58. Put that cardioid pattern proximity effect to good use!

If you're doing a DI/Mic combo, you may want to add the SM81 or e609 if there's a lot of plucking..

Other mics I've used: E/V RE-20, A/T 4033, and Heil PR-40. Heck, if you have a Heil PR-35, I would try that, too.

Best of luck and please report back.

There's a good use for a wideband 12dB boost centered around 200Hz?
I think we're getting into subjective territory, Tim. My well-done steak may not be your idea of a well-done steak.

If it's dialed back a little bit, I think proximity effect can be helpful to get the "body" of the instrument, especially when it's one with a lower register of notes. Sure, a lot of the articulation is higher up frequency-wise, but there's still some tone down lower that can benefit from some added boost. Honestly, I would prefer to use dynamic EQ for instruments with a lot of emphasis on lower notes, since leaning in and/or playing louder/resonant frequencies of the body can add some stand-out notes.

Totally down with the 57 on the cab. I also like a 98- it's small capsule will respond quickly and has the ability to extend down to the frequencies you need to get out of the mic sound.

Well, we got through it.
We ended up using the e609 since we had 2 on stage all mounted on short tripods and I was distracted at the mix position so my guy just did what he thought best give the choices and time available.
We got hit by a thunderstorm at around 2pm so tarped the world. Since it looked like it would be a while they decided to move the rest of the day indoors and take a 1hr schedule delay. I sent half the crew off to the indoor venue (2nd floor of a bank building a mile away) with the backup mixer and the stuff I had packed just in case of rain while the rest of us struck the rig between showers.
Sunday was a delightful day with lots of good music and again pressed the e609s into use.

I did end up using my e865s along with the SM81s for OH on a large, two person, percussion set along with the B52 under a big floor tom, lots of SM57s and my 2 Audix Micro-Ds on a couple of other toms. The rig had 8 toms, lots of jingley things and a bunch of cymbals.
The end of day had a marching band with electric violin and accordian join the above percussion set on stage for an impromptu jam. Great fun.
I really do like my QRX212s. I had em full range bi-amped and only got the -20db lights blinkin on the amps and they sounded great for all the drums.

Thanks for all the suggestions. They will come in handy in the future.

I've been using a D-12 and a Reddi di on my bass player's SVT rig and I love it.But then he's got a great tone and can play too lol

Peace