Evaluating Frequency Response of Speakers

Edward Allen

Sep 25, 2023
Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Hi
When a speaker manufacturer quotes a certain Frequency Response range (let's say 40 Hz to 20Khz) Is this the part of the curve that is roughly "flat" and at therefore at a strong stable volume OR does it mean ANY frequency a speaker is capable of generating at whatever power?

(I record drums and and trying to ensure my next speakers are effective as low as possible for the bass drum frequencies which can have elements down in the 30s, and I'm trying to ensure I get speakers that will comfortably work at those low levels.)

Thoughts??

Many thx in advance

They quite a range, and a plus or minus figure, and then use this bit. It means some still have appreciable output lower than their figure, but perhaps a tiny bit less than the 3dB figure. The plotted graph is what you use to see what you will hear. Personally, I like a bottom end that gently tails off, not has a sharp cutoff. Volume is irrelevant the surge stays the same in good speakers quiet or loud, it’s your ears that perceive things differently. If you want to record drums then historically the old bigger is better does hold true. Big cones shift more air than small ones, so making 5” speakers that sound like a big kick is very hard =expensive. This is why so many people use subs for this. But subs seem more about overall energy down the bottom rather than accuracy. 30Hz is a big ask from small speakers. I suppose it just removes lots of good cheaper ones from the shopping list.

Figures lie and liars figure.

Every manufacturer's marketing department will find the highest peak on a graph and claim that number is better than the competition.

To get solidly into 30Hz you will need subwoofer(s).