Enttec DMXIS Review

Jeff Babcock

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
jeffbabcock.org
First, I am often in scenarios where there is no lampie.

I wanted something that would give me decent DMX control, but in a format where I could quickly trigger it without having to pay much attention.

I stumbled across DMXIS, which is provided by Enttec, makers of the inexpensive USB to DMX boxes.

Basically DMXIS works like this:

You program your light show into presets.

You use those presets in a live situation, triggering them either with keyboard, mouse, or a simple foot pedal.

Cool features:

-STUPIDLY easy to use interface, even a lighting newb can use

-designed from the perspective of audio guy or performer

-inexpensive

-DMX 512

-Tons of fixtures supported out of the box

-Can use it while mixing audio without taking your focus off of mixing

-MAC AND PC

-Full offline editor mode

-Supports audio input - so for example if you want it to respond to playback or a band's backing tracks, it does that easily

-Supports DAW playback - it has a VST plugin which integrates for those who use a DAW live.

It is rock solid, support is fast and great. I can use this when running sound, or as a performer triggering it while on stage with minimal distraction.

This isn't for everybody. But for people in my situation, it might be just what you're looking for. As a bonus, you can use the DMX to USB controller with other software like MagiQ etc if you ever need more power.

I highly recommend checking out the Enttec website if this interests you. I'm a happy camper.

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70570&show=description

Below is the initial fixture programming screen.

The preset manager screen (what you'd use during the show) is not shown here. I'll try to grab a screenshot.

Finally, Here's the usb box. Note 3 and 5 pin support plus foot control input.

Re: Enttec DMXIS Review

My most recent gig with this, I had:

4 Mac 250 Entour

7 Chauvet Colorpalette

2 4 channel dimmer packs for a bunch of Par38's

1 Antari hazer

This was a small room with a crowd of about 250.

Programming was pretty quick, especially since you can copy presets to use as a starting point for each additional preset. I had programmed a few presets before setup, and simply had to edit these slightly in order to get the Macs focused where I needed them after the backline was in place.

I was actually playing drums on this gig rather than being at the board. I kept a laptop beside me, and a foot controller right beside my hi-hat pedal. I easily jumped through the presets throughout the show, and of course since I was drumming it was easy to ensure the timing of the changes was always on beat.

Too easy.