Chauvet Slim par 64 vs Pro RGBA

Mike Fusi

Freshman
Aug 4, 2015
Hi all, I've got a bit of a query with some new lighting fixtures for kitting out a hall for productions. Most of the work and products are done but I'm just buying par cans, I'm torn between the Chauvet slim par 64 and the slim par pro RGBA. Beyond the difference in luminescence I can't see much difference in the output quality of the fixtures (especially as both products have RGBA outputs), but the difference in price is around £130/$200 per unit (and I'm looking at 8). As the budget I'm on is rather tight I'm considering just getting the 64s or go half 64 and half pro RGBA, but any guidance on experience between these products would be great! :)

Slim par 64: https://www.stagedepot.co.uk/lighting/parcans/led/chauvet-slim-par-64-rgba

Slim par pro RGBA: https://www.stagedepot.co.uk/lighting/parcans/led/chauvet-slim-par-pro-rgba

Re: Chauvet Slim par 64 vs Pro RGBA

I would consider getting something that has a white chip in it if you plan on lighting up any people. Most rgb or rgba fixtures make a pretty miserable white.

RGB, RGBA, and RGBW fixtures can ALL make a white that looks good on a white wall (just not by slamming all channels to full). The big difference when lighting people is in the spectral content from the fixtures. Color Rendering Index (CRI) is one widely accepted metric for light quality (although not without its flaws), so we'll use it to compare fixture types.

Depending on the exact amber LED type used in the fixture, RGBA fixtures can have better CRI than RGBW fixtures, especially at white points closer to halogen (~3000K).

For comparison, at a CCT of ~3000k, an RGB fixture has a CRI in the mid 30s, an RGBW fixture has a CRI in the mid 60s, an RGBA fixture has a CRI in the low 70s, and certain more exotic LED mixes can get you into the mid 80s and above. I haven't simulated or measured an RGBAW fixture, but I'd expect it to be in the mid 70s.

Note, however, that for fixtures with more than 3 channels, there are multiple ways of achieving the same color point, so the exact CRI one gets from the fixture will depend on the skill of the operator, or the sophistication of the color-matching algorithm built into the fixture (if any).

Bulbs:
64 is "budget" low end model with either stamp steel or plastic case, and it uses a .25 watt bulb.
Pro uses a 1w bulb in a Cast case.

I have seen both of these fixtures used for uplighting at Weddings and Corp events. The 64 only has about 10' useful throw, and the Pro's are able to reach like to the 20' ceiling in a ball room.

I wouldn't buy a light that doesn't mix the colors behind a lens anymore.
They don't cost more and if you look at the light, you see the color, not a bunch or r's and g's and b's and a's lit up
It really makes a difference.

Get something like this:
http://www.kpodj.com/american-dj-flat-par-qa5x-p-103514/
Not sure where they sell lights on that side of the pond