Basic DMX Computer-based Controller

Phil Lewandowski

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Hey All,

I am working with a youth group at a church on putting together a basic lighting LED DMX lighting system. It will probably only have about 6-10 LED pars, a handful of standard Par64s, and maybe a couple of basic effect lights.

My question is what is a basic computer-based controller that those that aren't hardcore "techies" would be able to pick up fairly easy. Obviously with the youth group there will be a handful of people asked to do lighting at different times. The budget is up to about $300 for the controller. Someone suggested the ENTTEC DMX USB Pro which is compatible with many different computer interfaces, many of them free I believe. (MagicQ was one of the suggestions from a lighting friend.)

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
Re: Basic DMX Computer-based Controller

Take a look at the ENTTEC DMXIS. Targeted toward bands running their own lighting, but works just as well for "normal" use. Super easy to use, comes with the USB/DMX unit and the software. Works on both Windows and Mac boxes.

I had University students setting up light shows in minutes with it...

It can also be used with other software, but the included software couldn't be much simpler to use.

Thanks for the reply Rainer. That actually looks like a fantastic option.

I really like DMXIS. I'm a live sound guy, definitely not a lamprey, but I'm able to do some pretty decent stuff with it. You can also use an iPad to control it, using the software TouchOSC, and a bit of midi know how.

And there's Luminaire for iPad. You'll need a ethernet dongle, iPad or iPhone, and an Airport Express router. What I like is no laptop or pc is required.

Definitely not a lampie, not lamprey lol. Here's a video I whipped up using various fixtures. All the programming was done by me, using DMXIS.

http://youtu.be/I6aajl89834

The oscillators make programming a lot easier. This is the only software I've ever tried, so I can't compare it to anything else.

Phil, I'm late to the party, but I have been using DMXIS for quite a few years and have yet to find anything easier to use - nothing else is even close IMO. Once you set up the shows and build your presets (which is easy) it is super simple to run. I have used it on shows with as many as 30 fixtures, including movers such as Mac250's etc. No regrets, money well spent.