White wash

Philip Roberts

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Southwest Michigan
I'm involved with a passion play each year and for part of the resurrection scene we are looking for a long bright white flash, perhaps 5-10 seconds. We've got strobes but we are looking for a longer duration. Currently we've got lots of Par's, S4 pars and parnels and regular S4's. What sort of lights are there available that could do this well?

Thanks

Philip

Re: White wash

Or if they're in low power mode they'll dim after a second. Run them off a 16a 240v supply (or 32a 110v) in high power mode and they can run for ages on full brightness as full rate.

I'm going to have to check that out. I don't think we've been in low power mode but I'm not sure. We've been using a smart fade but are considering an Ion/Element.

In reading the manual it's not clear if 120 vs 240 (208 in my case) needs a different bulb they say it can and then recommend not using the Max7 bulb on 240V. Has any one run the ''regular'' bulb on 208?

Thanks

Philip

Philip, they'll work on 208 (and the M15 will work on 115)...the manual's recommendations are based on lamp life. For a one-off like it sounds like you're talking about, I wouldn't worry.

I finally had a chance to do some check the Atomic 3000's we've been using. To determine that yes we've been in high power mode.

Also called Martin Tech support about the different voltages. They indicated that the Max7 vs Max15 isn't just about better lamp life. They said that you really need to use the right one for your voltage.

Also that for using the Max15 I'd need to change the sockets the ends of the bulb sit in. As well a changing a jumper on the main board.

I guess I'm confused, the manuals says one thing (either bulb works on either voltage but with reduced lamp life) and tech support another (have to get it right and use the right lamp sockets). I'm not worried about lamp life as Jason guessed, we've had them 5-6 years and are still using the original bulbs.

Can any one offer field experience with running the Max7 on 208V?

I'm also checking on the strobes Silas has/had.

Thanks,

Philip

Although I've only run the Atomic's on 120V 20amp circuits on high power mode (2 Atomics per 20amp), I've been able to run them using the blinder effect for maybe around 8-12 seconds, and then they start to dim (along with that, the edges of the bulb start to glow). Although the color of the light isn't as intense as a discharge bulb, have you tried using a 1kW Fresnel? Or even a 2kW one?.. Around here (Mass), they're not very expensive to rent out depending on where you go. You could go higher like 5kW, but it'd be more expensive of course, and need special power but that's insanely bright..

Although I've only run the Atomic's on 120V 20amp circuits on high power mode (2 Atomics per 20amp), I've been able to run them using the blinder effect for maybe around 8-12 seconds, and then they start to dim (along with that, the edges of the bulb start to glow). Although the color of the light isn't as intense as a discharge bulb, have you tried using a 1kW Fresnel? Or even a 2kW one?.. Around here (Mass), they're not very expensive to rent out depending on where you go. You could go higher like 5kW, but it'd be more expensive of course, and need special power but that's insanely bright..

2 on a 20A 120V? No wonder they dim! We would generally run one in high power mode on a 16A 240V supply.

2 on a 20A 120V? No wonder they dim! We would generally run one in high power mode on a 16A 240V supply.

My mistake! OP, Ignore the entire thing about running the two Atomics using a 20amp 120V. I'm not entirely sure If I ran 2 Atomics per 20amp 120V circuit or one Atomic each 20amp 120V circuit at the time, but if they usually don't dim for a short while (like what I was experiencing), I'm guessing I was running them in a config. that's not really the greatest at the time. Thanks for catching my mistake, now I know it's not the light itself. :D

Wasn't Silas selling some strobes that would be perfect for this?

Yes
icon_biggrin.gif

The Diversitronics 3000s will do the arc weld effect, although not quite as smoothly as the Atomics. However, the Diversitronics will do it for longer. I think I can recall 30 seconds being no problem, although they are so bright I rarely ever run them like that because so many people complain.

The Diversitronics 3000s draw about 10 amps @ 240VAC each, so there is no way Ben is running two Atomic 3000s on one 120V circuit. At least, if the Atomics are anywhere near the brightness of a Diversitronics; who knows, they might not be.

The only disadvantage to the Diversitronics is that they are 240V only.

Two Diversitronics 3000s will easily pop a 20-amp circuit, even a GE breaker, which is saying something.
icon_rolleyes.gif