Most prevalent Ethernet based DMX protocol? Artnet?

Mark Ferris

Freshman
Nov 3, 2015
Hi guys,

I know I'm new here, so I hope you dont mind me asking for your input.

I'm just doing some research into Artnet and Ethernet based 'DMX' protocols, and was wondering what the most prevalent ones are in the field and on tours?

Any input would be helpful?

Re: Most prevalent Ethernet based DMX protocol? Artnet?

Depends on what you mean by "most prevelant" and "Ethernet-based DMX". If you're talking about Ethernet-based lighting control protocols, the options I know of are

Streaming ACN (Standard)
ETCnet (ETC proprietery)
Strand ShowNet (Strand proprietery)
MA Net (MA Lighting proprietery)
ArtNet (Artistic License proprietery, freely available)
KiNET (Color Kinetics proprietery)

Many of these also support functionality beyond what is available in the DMX standard, and many also have multiple flavors. ArtNet seems to be the most widely supported at this point, but MA net is likely going to be found on pretty much any tour using Grand MA consoles (i.e. most of them), and KiNET probably is controlling the largest number of channels. Likewise, the vendor-specific protocols will be found in installations with those vendor consoles installed.

Streaming ACN (Standard)
ETCnet (ETC proprietery)
Strand ShowNet (Strand proprietery)
MA Net (MA Lighting proprietery)
ArtNet (Artistic License proprietery, freely available)
KiNET (Color Kinetics proprietery)

The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

sACN and ArtNet are the 2 protocols you will see on the widest variety of hardware. The manufacturer proprietary stuff is generally limited to that manufacturer.

ArtNet was around first, and is quite common on freeware and shareware software. sACN is a lightweight version of ACN, which is an official standard. sACN is available for free as well, and is growing in popularity. The two protocols are fairly similar, however, they way they work on a network is different. ArtNet uses broadcast protocol whereas sACN uses Multicast. The broadcast protocol is super easy to set up, as your devices simply need to be on the same subnet to work, but there are issues with saturating a network with broadcast packets.

The next step beyond is RDM, which is a 2 way communication protocol. DMX is only one way, so your console doesn't get any feedback from devices to know what they are or if they are even there. Having the ability for the lights to talk back to the console opens a whole different set of exciting new options. e.g., if a fixture is having problems, it could tell you, instead of just sit there and act dumb.

This is most likely what you will see implemented into fixtures as a replacement of the DMX standard.

Thanks guys. I should've given a bit more info. I'm a developer of effects (smoke/hazers and whatnot), primarily been simple DMX (RS485) based only - no RDM or any feedback.

Now I'm looking into updating things to make it easier for shows and tours, where I understand many of them have an Ethernet based backbone for all the lighting already - usually running ArtNet from what I've been told. So if I can incorporate ArtNet capability into my units, I think it'll be beneficial. Obviously, any additional protocol I add will take time, and so I need to gauge whether the time spent would be worth it or not.

So far I'm leaning towards Artnet only as there are no royalties, and perhaps Streaming ACN (but I dont know anything about that). I have no real professional touring/show background, apart from very amateur shows I've been involved with, but never from a sound/lighting angle, so I thought I'd try ask you folks who do this type of thing day in/day out.

I'd suggest going against using artnet or sacn on your devices unless they are going to take that and output dmx. In a tour situation the artnet or sacn will go from foh to dimmer beach from there its split down to dmx and then to the fixtures... I've yet to see a show that puts their cat5 up to the truss. I work primarily in two road houses one theater and the other live music. From off Broadway to 20k seat arena shows.

Sent from my XT1060

I'd suggest going against using artnet or sacn on your devices unless they are going to take that and output dmx. In a tour situation the artnet or sacn will go from foh to dimmer beach from there its split down to dmx and then to the fixtures... I've yet to see a show that puts their cat5 up to the truss. I work primarily in two road houses one theater and the other live music. From off Broadway to 20k seat arena shows.

Sent from my XT1060

This completely depends on the number of channels in use. While I agree that ArtNet and sACN are not a replacement for a DMX input, there are shows that have enough control channels in the air for it to be worth the effort to run Ethernet to the truss. There are fixtures today that can consume huge numbers of DMX channels (I know of LED fixtures and movers that can consume 120+ DMX channels, so 4 per DMX universe. I also know of LED systems where each power supply can consume over 3400 control channels, so 6+ DMX universes per unit. Those power supplies do not accept DMX ), and many have Ethernet inputs to reduce the amount of cabling required.

This completely depends on the number of channels in use. While I agree that ArtNet and sACN are not a replacement for a DMX input, there are shows that have enough control channels in the air for it to be worth the effort to run Ethernet to the truss. There are fixtures today that can consume huge numbers of DMX channels (I know of LED fixtures and movers that can consume 120+ DMX channels, so 4 per DMX universe. I also know of LED systems where each power supply can consume over 3400 control channels, so 6+ DMX universes per unit. Those power supplies do not accept DMX ), and many have Ethernet inputs to reduce the amount of cabling required.

Even with those fixtures, the b-eye comes to mind they still run straight dmx no Ethernet. I've literally never seen Ethernet for lighting going into a truss loom.

Sent from my XT1060

I appreciate the input everyone, thanks. I'm not looking to replace DMX, just be proactive if everything is moving towards Ethernet and also provide that as well.

Mixed feedback it seems. I was really under the impression that because of modern lighting fixtures consuming so many conventional DMX channels, they are moving towards running Ethernet (and Artnet) direct to them and less and less straight DMX. If thats not the case...well, then it just doesn't seem worth the effort at this stage.

Last edited:

I appreciate the input everyone, thanks. I'm not looking to replace DMX, just be proactive if everything is moving towards Ethernet and also provide that as well.

Mixed feedback it seems. I was really under the impression that because of modern lighting fixtures consuming so many conventional DMX channels, they are moving towards running Ethernet (and Artnet) direct to them and less and less straight DMX. If thats not the case...well, then it just doesn't seem worth the effort at this stage.
The issue is that it's much harder to daisy chain Ethernet efficiently than dmx.

The issue is that it's much harder to daisy chain Ethernet efficiently than dmx.

That depends entirely on the design of the Ethernet devices. Many of the high channel-count devices designed for use with Ethernet have small network switches built in, allowing for a very similar cabe scheme to DMX.

But I've yet to see a single device that is Ethernet dependent. The stuff on the show floor hasn't made it to market in the original intent. I've seen fixtures with the capability but never seen that capability used.

Sent from my XT1060