MiPro ACT 707 HM First Impressions

I assume some of you know that I have several channels of MiPro ACT 707 wireless units. I use these for Community Theatre type events. I decided, just for kicks that I would buy one of the hand held transmitters to go with them for Emmcees, etc.

So I got the ACT 707HM with the MU-79 capsule, put two AA batteries in it, turned it on, hit the ACT button and two seconds later it was locked into one of my channels. I plugged it into a Behringer 802 miniature little mixer thingy. Patched into two EV ZX1-90 speakers. I proceeded to turn it up and was quite amazed how loud I could get without any feedback. And this is a condenser mic! I did notice that it was a little boomy so I cut 80hz with the channel EQ and all of a sudden it was nice and clear in the lows.

I screamed into it to see if I could get it to distort. Only at the top of my lungs could I get a tiny little bit of clipping. So I opened it up and engaged the -6db switch and then I could not get it to distort anymore.

My beltpacks for the ACT 707 seem to last just about forever on some fresh AA batteries but I am not sure how ling this will last on a set. I have about two hours on it and it shows 80% in the battery monitor on the control software. If I can get 6-8 hours of use I will be happy, more than that and I will be loving it!

I have only had this for a couple days and I have not taken it out on a gig yet but just from messing around for an hour or so I would feel quite comfortable using this anywhere I would use am SM58. I definitely can get it super loud with zero feedback and this is with no graphic EQ in the chain.

Rumor has it that this might actually be a Beyer capsule but I have no proof of that and can't figure out which one it would be if it is. It doesn't really matter though. It sounds a lot better than I expected and I will be adding more to my inventory.

Hopefully I can get some of my customers to buy some from me to add to their inventories also! :grin:

View attachment 381

Re: MiPro ACT 707 HM First Impressions

I've had a four pack of these things for about a year. Hands down, I love them!

The HH mic gives what I would call a very ''radio DJ'' voice when the EQ is left flat. Big smooth bottom and silky, extended highs. These are absolutely perfect for Emcee's.

But that's not all they are good for. Like Ryan mentioned they work extremely well with floor monitors. Rear rejection is excellent, and so gain before feedback is too. I find that after rolling the channel high pass up to around 125-150 I don't typically do anything else to the channel eq. After using KSM9's and Beta87's and SM86's, these things are a breeze to work with.

There are some downsides though. The magnesium body is prone to scratches. I had mine floating around in a padded drawer and they suffered scratches in the finish on the first gig. I am using a 2 space drawer and the foam cutouts that the mics ship in are too big to fit, so I tossed the mics in unprotected. Stupid, I know, but the drawer is foam lined, so I thought it would be ok.

I've had one engineer tell me that they felt like toys. They are pretty lightweight, and the magnesium body has a weird feel to it so I can see where he's coming from. He had no problem with the performance, and was actually surprised at the range and sound quality. Not sure if this is a real downside, but it's worth mentioning.

The third downside I'm aware of is the physical size of the mic. It's a biggy! Finding a mic bag that will fit the mic and clip is difficult. Also, the clips are an unusual size to account for the larger diameter body. I'm not certain that an aftermarket wireless clip would fit, Although I haven't tried that yet.

Pro's:

Sound Quality
Gain before feedback
RF Performance
Ease of use
Price

Con's:

Poor finish
Large Size
Funky feel in the hand
It has MiPro written on the side