Mac 250 vs elation 5r

John McLeod

Freshman
Sep 9, 2015
Hi guys
Just looking at 6 to 8 effect lights and my first DMX
My local source has these sets for trade ins ..
The macs are clean and have 1200 hrs on them an d not sure on the elation pro 5rs..
I will look into some floods lated to
Any suggestions on these..
John

Re: Mac 250 vs elation 5r

The 5r's will keep up with any light show out there. They have the power to cut through 1k pars.

The Mac250's would just be pissing in the wind unless all you do is small DJ stuff

The MAC 250 has a CBCP of ~130k candela, compared to the ~100k candela of the Elation 5r. Neither one is particularly bright.

To the OP, there are many variants of the MAC 250, and they have different feature sets and performance. The original MAC 250 is a relatively old fixture (perhaps 10+ years old), so it is worth verifying what version is being offered for sale.

Also, moving lights tend to require a fair amount of upkeep. If you're buying used, it's worth knowing the history of the lights, why they are being offered for sale (perhaps they were starting to become shop queens?), and the availability of repair parts.

Also, moving lights tend to require a fair amount of upkeep. If you're buying used, it's worth knowing the history of the lights, why they are being offered for sale (perhaps they were starting to become shop queens?), and the availability of repair parts.

This.

With the low cost new of moving lights that are similar, such as Chauvet R2 Spots, I don't see any value in buying used.

Look closely at brightness. A 10' throw in a blacked out room is nothing at all like 50'+ during the day for corporate, wedding, etc.

Thanks
Im not interested in new..especially at $3000 Canadian each..
I will look into the mac 250 although they are on e bay out of Missisauga ontario.