LED's

Randy Gartner

Junior
Jan 12, 2011
Pennsylvania
randygartnersound.com
One of the bands I work for has some of the cheap LED's that come 4 to a bar with a controller.They may be ok for small venues but these guys do alot of large outdoor shows and the ones they have don't cut it.I am looking to buy some LED PAR type fixtures but want to get something decent that will work on large out door events so I need some advice on what to look for. I guess number and wattage of LED's but what else should I be looking for and where is a good source to get them?

Re: LED's

What's your budget? What other lighting will be involved? Does color gamut matter to you? I own a bunch of Chauvet SlimPAR pro RGBA fixtures and they hold up pretty well against 575w incandescent fixtures, depending on what you're doing.

Total LED wattage is somewhat indicative, but you need to be careful, as some fixtures embellish specs, just like speakers. If they give a lumens rating, that is a little easier to compare. Many fixtures are rated in "lux at X meter(s)". This is also helpful, but you have to translate the beam and field angles between different fixtures, or you aren't comparing apples and apples. At a bare minimum, you want 1w diodes, and 3w (single color) is probably better. The tri and quad fixtures are potentially fine, but keep in mind that if they have "10w" diodes or something like that, they are adding the emitters behind the lens together, so a 10w quad diode is theoretically 2.5w per color.

Being outdoors isn't really material (unless you're talking about weatherproofing); the facts that are more relevant is your throw distance, how many fixtures you will have, and what are you competing with for other light. You can get fairly good brightness at moderate price ($350 and up), but color gamut, physical features, beam angle and beam quality may require spending somewhat more, depending on how picky you are and what you're trying to do.

I use a few Chauvet SlimPar Pro Tri's and VW's at my "day job" and they do a pretty good job. The VW's (Variable Whites) do well alongside 575W Source 4's. They seem to be a good choice for the money.

Any DMX controller should work fine. No pack needed. Just daisy chain the DMX cable from light to light...

The SlimPar Pro VW's can be set to different control settings. Simplest one is 2 channels - one fader for cool white, the second for warm white. 3 channel mode adds a dimmer fader (keeps the mix of warm/cool consistent while fading). There is another setting with strobe options, etc.

The TRI's are similar. 3 channel mode is just RGB. 4 Channel mode adds a dimmer/strobe fader. Additional options add access to macros, presets, dimming rates, etc.

All depends on how complex you want to get, and how many faders you have available on your controller.

Can I use my old analogue controller and packs to control these?

No.

LEDs cannot be dimmed from a dimmer pack - they must have undimmed power and a DMX control cable to each fixture.

If your board outputs DMX, you can sort of do really basic things with LEDs, however it will drive you crazy. You really need a board designed to work with LEDs to get any real work done. If your board is analog or MPX, you cannot use them at all.

Last edited:

No.

LEDs cannot be dimmed from a dimmer pack - they must have undimmed power and a DMX control cable to each fixture.

If your board outputs DMX, you can sort of do really basic things with LEDs, however it will drive you crazy. You really need a board designed to work with LEDs to get any real work done. If your board is analog or MPX, you cannot use them at all.

What kind of basic things?

As Rob said, you can think of each LED as 3, 4, 5, or however many colors of emitters you have worth of channels on a conventional board. This gets limiting in a hurry if you want to control more than a few fixtures, or if you want to match colors between fixtures.

Boards that are designed for LEDs are command driven - select fixtures, select color. They typically have color pallets, chases, or other programming already built for you.

You can buy rgbw 54x3w led cans on ebay for 90-100 a light and rgbwa for abou 150 a light. This is a standard brightness for a larger outdoor stage. If your stage area is uncovered you would need outdoor rated lights which are about 50 to 100 dollars more expensive a light. I would not invest in anything under 3w per led of single color or 12w per led of an all in one rgb led. The others are correct that if you are moving into the direction of these types of lights you may want to invest in a light board that will help you control them more quickly and easily. I have been using wholehog as my lighting controller since 2005 and would highly recommend it. You can buy a used widget for as low as $400 on ebay and there are video tutorials online foe beginners. Other software based controllers that I would recommend are Martin's Light Jockey or the Enntec Controller. Both have great tutorials on line for the beginner and are relatively easy to find used on ebay.