Fog Machine Midi DIY help

Matthew Lewis

Freshman
Sep 20, 2015
Hi,
So I have a 1201 Hazer made by Stage Ape lighting hazer machine. The controller in-put is 5 pin (probably DMX but not sure) and I want to be able to control it from a farther distance (controller cord is 15 feet). The controller has a smaller end then regular XLR and is just a simple "on/off" switch with NO volume/ quantity controls on it. What I want to do is convert the controller to 3 pin XLR, run that to a snake, then at the end of the snake convert it back into 5 pin to put into fog machine. Would this be possible to convert in this way? Would it lose too much voltage by the time it gets to the machine?

Re: Fog Machine Midi DIY help

Hey Matthew,

The 5 pin xlr style connector is almost certainly DMX. You can get a 5 pin to 3 pin adapter and run the signal down your snake, but you'll need a DMX controller of some sort. If the existing controller is just a switch, you could adapt it to 3 pin XLR. Cable length usually doesn't play a big role in low amperage low voltage circuits. If you take the DMX route, some people have complained of cross talk and noise in other snake channels. This is probably the case when channels share a common ground rather than each channel being true 3 wire. Take a look at your snake first.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi,
So I have a 1201 Hazer made by Stage Ape lighting hazer machine. The controller in-put is 5 pin (probably DMX but not sure) and I want to be able to control it from a farther distance (controller cord is 15 feet). The controller has a smaller end then regular XLR and is just a simple "on/off" switch with NO volume/ quantity controls on it. What I want to do is convert the controller to 3 pin XLR, run that to a snake, then at the end of the snake convert it back into 5 pin to put into fog machine. Would this be possible to convert in this way? Would it lose too much voltage by the time it gets to the machine?

I'd be very surprised if the remote is DMX and isn't advertised as such. More likely, the signals are simple analog signals (contact closure and resistance) which aren't too picky about cable length, but do need to be kept separated.

I'll bet the signals on the connector are
DC Power
Ground
Volume +
Volume -
Trigger

but the only way to know for certain is to either get the info from the manufacturer or crack one open and find out firsthand.

Ok I have, for the most part, I figured out the layout of the wires but i seam to be having problems with connectivity. When I plug in the controller (originally 5 pin, now 3 pin)(the 3 pin controller to XLR then back into 5 pin) it seams to be working but not. I know this is contradictory but when I plug the controller rig in, the lights blink to show that it is getting power. However, the "heating done" or "ready" switch does not seam to be lighting up nor working. Could it be my wiring? I'm cheap and decided on doing it my self. This has turned out to be a challenge but cheaper.
3 wires-
1-Silver XLR to Yellow controller (5V) I believe this is your "hot" wire
2-Red XLR to Red controller (GND) This is common wire
3-Blue XLR to White controller (P3.1) Your control return wire
(I'm not too familiar with electrician terms)

Last edited: