Don't want to overload circuit!!!!!

Brendon weekley

Freshman
Sep 22, 2015
Hey guys, I'm 15 and into live sound and djing and I am working about overloading the circuit. This is the gear I have

2x Behring b215d's they are 550w output
1 behringer B1800HP sub 2200w output
a laptop
phone charger
wireless mics
allan and heath zed 16fx mixer
5 lazers, strobe and fog machine
Traktor control s4

and thats about bout all I can think of

in a bit of a hurry at the moment so I couldnt add to much detail but you can ask me and I will respond. Hope I can find out thanks

Last edited:
Re: Don't want to overload circuit!!!!!

All of that gear should have input power ratings on it somewhere (either on the product itself, or in the user guide). You can use that information to determine how much power the entire system draws.

Now, determining how much power you can put on a circuit requires knowledge of everything else on the circuit, which can sometimes be difficult.

All of that gear should have input power ratings on it somewhere (either on the product itself, or in the user guide). You can use that information to determine how much power the entire system draws.

Now, determining how much power you can put on a circuit requires knowledge of everything else on the circuit, which can sometimes be difficult.

Yeah im kinda new to all this power stuff but do you have a ruff guess if it would be drawing to much?

Brendon,

You should have all the information you need on each piece of equipment (see picture) to determine how much it will use. Write them all down, add them all up. When you know how many amps your equipment can (not that it necessarily will) draw, you can compare that to what the circuit you are using will handle before tripping or blowing. You will have to figure out what that circuit is and its rating.

Keep in mind that a)amplifiers are a pretty dynamic load and will not usually draw full power unless they are being constantly pushed to their max output and b)"everything" on the circuit you're using may also include lamps, appliances and other unknowns that will also be part of the draw on that circuit.

Attachments

• appliance-wattage-info-tag.gif
    appliance-wattage-info-tag.gif
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

So the speakers it says on the back -

220-240v~50/60Hz 600W
FUSE: T 3.15A H 250V

How do I work this out?

How do I work this out?

You ask the house, how much current is available on circuit you are going to plug into. Or you go look at the breaker yourself. Then you add up all your equipment. Then you decide how much safety factor you want. If you are close to the limit, depending on the circuit breaker type, it may trip off.

The conservative approch is to use the speaker fuse rating as your makimum current draw. The more realistic way is to use the rated power and the line voltage to determine the current, and make sure that it is below the circuit rating. A useful formula is

Power (watts) = current (amps) x voltage (volts) [x power factor, since this is an AC circuit, but we'll ignore that for now]

For continuous loads, it is good practice to not load a circuit beyond 80% of the maximum rating (rating of the overcurrent protective device, i.e. the fuse or circuit breaker)