DMX - share ground for 2 cables ?

Hi,

I've read that you shouldn't split DMX with a Y-cable but that's kinda what I want to do so I can send signals two directions - one left, one right.

My setup is simple and will not be expanded: 2 bars of 4 cheap chinese RGB LED lights. The kind that come with no instructions etc. 8ch DMX each.

One idea is to use 2core cable and put a male & female on each end ie send signal out, and have the return signal. Use this for one side, and a normal 3 pin xlr cable for the other.

However.. i've got a lot of un-used canare star quad which is 2 blue, 2 white conductors plus shield.

It would be a once-off pain the in neck to make a 2 ch cable out of this but.. I could use a multimeter to work out which blue & white is which; and make a 2 ch cable with 1 blue, 1 white, and use the shield for both.

Would this work ?

DMX controller is an e-dmx king cat 5 to dmx.

Again, not looking to have a pro lighting rig or expand it; this is for when i'm forced to bring lights with my PA. I'm under no illusions as to what these 4 lights each side of the stage are capable of (or rather, not capable of)..

Andrew

Re: DMX - share ground for 2 cables ?

Bulk DMX and a cheap splitter, such as the Chauvet Datastream4, is pennies compared to the lights not working right and costing you even 1 gig.

Re: DMX - share ground for 2 cables ?

Bulk DMX and a cheap splitter, such as the Chauvet Datastream4, is pennies compared to the lights not working right and costing you even 1 gig.

And if you want cheap cable, Cat5 or better network cable is actually spec for DMX, although it is often unshielded. The lack of shield isn't really an issue in practice, though.