Danley DTS 10 live applications?

Jorge Orellana

Apr 7, 2023
South Carolina
Hey everyone! First time making a post in any of these forums. I acquired a Danley DTS 10 a few months back and have had it sitting in my room since then. Originally purchased at an auction for a few hundred dollars, and bought it with the intention of throwing some small events with it. Have been toying with the idea of getting a second one for even response and getting the most out of the subs by having two of them, but lately have been feeling insecure about the strength of the DTS 10, and if adding a second one would be worth the (reasonable) money and trouble, or if I’m better off looking in a different direction? Like I said I already have the one I paid very little for, so ideally would like to maximize what I already have.
These are mainly going to be used for low end heavy electronic music, and figure having extension down to 11hz means there is ample headroom crossing over at 20hz, and with a continuous SPL of 127db and 133db peak, figured these subs should be more than enough for a few hundred cap shows. I really just don’t want to be disappointed grabbing a second one, just to realize I am applying these the wrong way, but it makes sense in my head, especially considering I want to prioritize audio quality and flat low end depth, not necessarily just being loud. Just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on the matter, as buying something like a th221 is out of the question budget wise, but the dts 10 I could afford and would have a second for fr evening or for coupling together. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thank you :)

The DTS-10 is an amazing box at what it does, but I don't think I would recommend using it for typical live sound applications. Originally geared for cinema/special effects applications you may find that it's frequency response is optimized for that. What they do is incredible, but I would probably choose other products for your intended use case (potentially TH-118's or BC-215's) on logistics alone (the DTS-10 cabinet shape is awkward to move/transport and fairly heavy). Maybe you could consider selling the DTS-10 at a profit and rolling that toward a better option for you.

Jeff

Reactions: Tim McCulloch