Anyone using Luminair for iPad?

Re: Anyone using Luminair for iPad?

I'm not using Luminair but combined with the companion product Pixelnode one can get some interesting media server-like results.

David,
The issue with Luminaire and all other iPad based control solutions is that they rely on the stability of the wireless network for their ArtNet communications. I use iPod Touch based RFU apps for controlling my Chamsys MQ100Pro and various ETC boards while focusing and I can tell you that those connections get dropped all the time. I can only imagine that wireless performance is pretty similar when the iDevice is the actual controller except that the consequences are a little more noticeable. Until someone makes a Dock Connector>DMX interface, I don't see tablets and iPod/Phones becoming a reasonable control solution for show-critical applications. They do make decent remotes though.

You're right, it should be strong enough but some copper wrapped in rubber will be strong enough. While wireless is used in show critical DMX control applications, ArtNet over WiFi isn't in professional applications and that is for a reason. When push comes to shove, it might work the whole show but it might not and that isn't really good enough for show critical applications. If only Luminaire made a PC version with support for multitouch monitors. That would be awesome.

You're right, it should be strong enough but some copper wrapped in rubber will be strong enough. While wireless is used in show critical DMX control applications, ArtNet over WiFi isn't in professional applications and that is for a reason. When push comes to shove, it might work the whole show but it might not and that isn't really good enough for show critical applications. If only Luminaire made a PC version with support for multitouch monitors. That would be awesome.

I with you there. I use an iPad to run a Presonus digital mixer, using a remote software on my Mac. This works well because when the connection drops between the iPad and the computer, life goes on. No pops, no unexpected behaviour....and when I get the connection back there is no weird behavior either. If there's a wireless mic at the gig it seems to affect the connection, or solar flares, or a full moon, or someone is casting spells.....you get the idea.

Does anyone know of a (relatively inexpensive for a guy who is thinking of doing lighting in addition to sound) mac-based solution to control a DMX-USB interface that you can remotely control with an iPad app? Or an iPhone app? Just flipping through some scenes and blackouts, with no moving lights. I downloaded ShowXpress, and the sister app Live_Mobile which I think might do the job, but has anyone tried in real life? I don't want to bumble down the wrong track......

Cheers,

...Greg

Does anyone know of a (relatively inexpensive for a guy who is thinking of doing lighting in addition to sound) mac-based solution to control a DMX-USB interface that you can remotely control with an iPad app? Or an iPhone app? Just flipping through some scenes and blackouts, with no moving lights. I downloaded ShowXpress, and the sister app Live_Mobile which I think might do the job, but has anyone tried in real life? I don't want to bumble down the wrong track......

Use an iPad app like Desktop Connect ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/desktop-connect/id364907570?mt=8 ) to remotely control your laptop, and you can control any software that runs on the Mac. That's how I run Studio Manager and a few other laptop-based applications.

Hey folks
I am just learning the luminair software, I own the monoprice par can 64 led lights does anyone know of a website with a howto tool? I can't seem to get sliders 5 and 6 working properly.
please and thank you!!

In non mission critical situations, Luminaire works wonderfully. The definite issue is that if the iPad loses WIFI connection, the DMX signal stops flowing. In my experience, the last DMX value persists, so if you're running a sequence, it'll freeze at the last step. With some systems, a loss of DMX signal would cause blackout, but with AirNet, the box seems to keep sending out the last DMX values.

For something like a small band on a stage with PAR cans, Luminaire works beautifully.

Be aware though, that Luminaire in its default configuration just uses broadcast packets to operate. That means anyone that can get on your network now can inject DMX signals and create havoc on your system. Make sure you password protect the network. Again, in mission critical situations, it's very easy for the system to be disrupted, so it wouldn't be advised.